What about life?

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

A recent case of handphone being stolen has resulted in a certain clip being circulated widely on the internet. Causing a rather big hoo-hah, I wondered if the Singaporean readers have no other issue to discuss about. Probably no one wants to speculate on the upcoming elections since most people will end up having walkovers in their constituencies. Nor do they want to talk about the rich towkay who was shot to death with 5 bullets. On a more global scale, few are interested in the Thailand political crisis nor that related to Arroyo. I can only conclude we Singaporeans prefer juicy gossip. Particularly when it relates to a 3 letter word.

When I first read the article, 2 things came to mind. One, why did the gal actually take the video clips? Second, who was the nasty person who posted the clip on the web? Logically, such a case should render discussions on the latter, but ironically, focus was placed on the victim. Is it not of any concern that people posted such clips and allowed circulation of it? And he or she should actually be reprimanded (I believe within the many statutes of our legislation, there is a law that this fellow has broken)? Notwithstanding that many people do take such video clips of themselves, what about those who take clips or pictures of others (particularly without the latter’s consent)?

Of course, I must admit that all those discussions on how moral values are eroding and the much sexually-explicit content our modern world is exposed to are nonetheless relevant and forms the crux of the problem. Brought up in a conservative family, and in traditionally Chinese schools, I do personally feel that Asian values have worn away with over-westernization. Not that I’m against the Westerners (in fact, there are lots that we can learn from the western side), but I do think that certain Chinese values should be inculcated and passed on. And pardon me if I sound like an educationist, but I also feel that teenagers have been given a misconception of the 3-letter word, with all those FXX magazines and movies and the web. My sister has this idea that since everyone’s doing it, so can she. Anyway, there’s always the solution of abortion. A friend around my age found herself turned into a mother overnight. Another friend came crying at me 3 years ago, when her (ex-) boyfriend ditched her after getting her into bed. From then, she went from fling to fling. And of course, there are those guy friends who insist they will be the fathers should anything go wrong, but can they guarantee that? Ah. Call me old-fashioned f you like, but I’m sick of all this bed-stuff.

Am getting a bit off track so signing off (see what work did to me, can’t even blog properly!).

1 Comments:

  • At 3:13 AM , Blogger Rockie said...

    i know wat u mean... i feel kinda sianzed that our world become liddat liao also... seems like we were cheated of the one we were told we wld get when young... that there is ONE person for everyONE, will get married and live happily ever after, blah blah blah.

    but although we can't change the world, we can still control wat we do. hopefully your world and mine will be not-so-unperfect.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home