What about life?

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Ugly Singaporeans

Last weekend when I was out with family, we came by an incident which reaffirm our stance on Singaporeans being unfeeling people. We were going to the washroom (guys to gents, and ladies to ladies of course!). I thought I heard some shouting from behind doors (there’s always those doors which lead to staircases near the washrooms in Suntec). The first thing that came to my mind was that some couple must be quarrelling. However, coming out of the washroom 5 minutes later, the shouting continued. This time, I sensed the distress in the shouting. It didn’t sound like people quarrelling. I looked around, saw no one in the corridor, and back-tracked my steps. The shouting came from behind the door with the sign ‘cleaner’s room’. I realized that someone was locked in! by this time, my brother came out and he said to call the security service (number happened to be on this sign that was near the door). So calling, we told the lady we’re getting help and it seemed to calm her down. The number hasn’t got through yet when a bunch of keys hanged out from the slits at the bottom of the door (air vents you call it?). so we managed to open the door for her without the security guard after all. Apparently, the door is such that it will auto-lock upon being closed and she accidentally closed it when she was in there. Poor old lady. Anyway, my point is that many people actually hears the shouting and simply walked past without thinking anything of the shouting. It was the typical Singaporean attitude of ‘none of my business’. It doesn’t matter that someone is in distress or needs help badly. So long as it’s not going to affect them, there’s no way they’re going out to help others. I recall the mother in I Not Stupid, who kept telling her kid Terence not to care about other people’s business. Really, I think the show is so true of typical Singaporeans.

 

Will Singaporeans stop being so ugly?

3 Comments:

  • At 2:58 AM , Blogger Rockie said...

    well... maybe u were the 1st person who heard her? how long was she locked in? did anyone else walk past before? and furthermore, u 1st thot it was ppl quarrelling. maybe everyone else thot that way?

    it seems that we singaporeans are always so quick to blame ourselves. too kiasu, too dependent on govt, too bohchap, so ugly. we shd at least give our fellow singaporeans the benefit of the doubt and more affinity to ourselves, before we get swamped by chinamen with all their loud voices, spitting, inconsiderate behaviour, etc etc etc.

    we natural-born citizens shd stick together and stand up with one another! make sure we dun become a China colony!

    ahhaha... digress liao.

     
  • At 9:35 AM , Blogger veggie said...

    surely they din haf ear muffs and so can't hear the shouting? dunno how long she was locked in tho. well, there was banging on the door so they shld look out even if it was quarelling?
    ha, ok. i'll try to give them benefit of doubt next time k.
    and i sense racism hor.. hahaha

     
  • At 1:06 AM , Blogger Rockie said...

    it's not racism... u're chinese and i'm ur buddy mah.

    it's nationalism!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home