Olympic opening ceremony vs NDP
I had initially planned to work late on this Friday whereby most would go home early. In that way, the office would be peaceful and I can work fast. But my staff keep telling me about the opening cem for Olympics which excited me. I had forgotten about it. But there was no tv at home, and the ceremony was not broadcasted online. I jokingly asked my staff if I can go to her place to watch. She instantly agreed, and before I knew it, she had gotten permission from her landlord, and told her boyfriend (who lives under the same roof) that I was going. Efficient staff I got eh? Hee... So with this plus my next-door neighbout who always work late with me is going home early, plus I didn't feel like working at all, plus I realised there won't be any cab in the night with it being National Day eve, I decided to go to her place.
The initial part of the cem looked grand and spectacular, but there wasn't much objective I feel. Nevertheless, you can sense the pride of each Chinese on that performance, and I believed much efforts has been put into the show. I was rather impressed with the people who had to raise the word tiles up and down. Initially, I had thought that it was mechanised, but after some time looking, I thought I saw legs below the tiles. And yeap, it was human effort raising and lowering those tiles. Hard work! We were also initially awed by the dancers who painted the mountain and water painting. Imagine dancing to the rhythm, and yet concentrating getting the painting out, but when we finally saw the painting, we were kind of disappointed. We expected something more. From there, things started getting boring and we didn't really focus on the tv screen that much more. And when it was 930pm, when the 204 teams started moving out contingent by contingent, I got really bored. My staff said to wait till Singapore team and Malaysia team come out. We waited and chatted, and it was 1030pm. I got really tired by then, and decided to make the way home. So I missed Li JW holding the flag, and maybe L.K.Y. cheering, and of course, the closing part where Yao M went around. If only they had it online...
Today I watched the ndp online while having dinner. Of course, if you compare with yesterday's, today's not too good. But considering the size of our population, it is of course any person's guess that the students and ns men are the labour for the show. I guessed the fireworks this year cost a great deal, with so many different ones and for such long duration. Overall it was all right.
And I found out today that CNN does show online!!! That's great! They have some really good shows.

2 Comments:
At 12:13 AM ,
Anonymous said...
MDC's performance was nice I thought.
At 12:04 AM ,
Anonymous said...
I was there at the Marina Floating Platform, but didn't feel the nationalistic / patriotism spirit as I did when it was held at Kallang Stadium. What a waste..
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home