What about life?

Friday, March 17, 2006

Music music music

I came to understand the luxury of listening to music this morning. Recently I bought a mp4 player (talk about this later) and so was putting it to good use on the way to work this morning. As I did not sleep quite well last night (and the previous many nights, and talk about this later also), I decided some music on the train my help in some peaceful moments much required to replace the lack of sleep. With the music in ears, and a seat, and eyes closed, I think it was a power half-hour sleep. Felt superb after that (but as of now, still back to tired mode). Anyway, my point is music (not those rock music of course) is a great relaxant and promotes sleep.

Now to those talk-about-laters.

I bought a mp4 player at the IT show. Was attracted by the fact it plays mp4. With 1GB, I thought I could put some of my favourite cartoon clips and music as well. It was a haste decision to buy it. Out flew $150 when I could easily buy a 1GB mp3 at $99 or 512GB at $69. Thinking of it now, I regretted making the purchase. For being so non-techno-savvy person, the many functions in the player are infrequently used by me. At the same time, again being the techno-idiot, I don’t know how to convert my clips to the mode that is playable by the player. Stupid right. Yes yes, there is such a thing known as the manual. Unfortunately, either my Chinese literary level (yes, the manual in Chinese; the English one is horribly erroneous) is so poor, or the manual seriously did not write anything regarding the software. There is a installation mini disc inside. But I attempted to install the programs in futile. There goes my money, and I’m so in need of it. Not to forget that my half-year bonus is not going to be declared. I was banging hard that the bonus will come in April, and thus made the decision to get myself a mp3 player, months after brother bought his and asked why I refused to get one. So now that the bonus was not coming, I would have not made the decision to buy (but alas, I was deceived by the pretty mini player which can play video).

As to why I refuse to buy one a few months back during the Comex, I’ll say that I thought the mp3 player was want simply. It wasn’t something I really needed. I can do without it, I was sure. And so I refused to spend $100+ on that thing that can play music clips like my notebook can too. So when brother bought his, and asked if I wanted to get one, I said no. I wasn’t going to throw my money away on ‘wants’, particularly not on technology stuff.

Turn the clock a few months later into recent days. It wasn’t good that the hi-fi set my friends got me for my 22nd birthday was a bit spoilt. The cd player (which is almost the only function I use) isn’t working well. Adding on, many of the CDs I burnt are spoilt (either due to the cheapo discs we use, or the super-duper hot weather). So my source of music was gone. Not that I must always have music playing, but at times I really need it (See next para). So I came up with the decision of getting a mp3 player when the IT show comes round the corner, and to repeat myself, I thought the March bonus was coming (since the management says it wants to give more or such interim bonus). Extra cash which I was going to buy some ‘wants’ and save up for a rainy day.

Now to why I sometimes really need music. Also links to the other talk-about-later. I’ve been having very bad sleep these days. I have a hard time falling asleep. And when I finally does, it was only into light sleep. A flick on of lights, or dogs barking, or lizards hissing, or blah blah blah, I will awaken. Not to mention that I had nightmares. Or that I simply wake up. Though I’ve been in bed for at least 7 hours every night for the past month (up to 12 hours on weekends), my body does not feel recharged at all. With my body battery so flat, I wonder how I’m going to pull through the next month of work-till-at-least-midnight nights. Now that’s where the music comes in. I knew I needed some music to put me to sleep (at least that’s what I found to be successful during uni days, where I can use the sleep function on the hi-fi). With the hifi spoilt (and in the living room), maybe a cheap mp3 will help.

See, I had so many reasons to get the mp3 player. But I ended up with a mp4 player, and I regret it.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:15 AM , Blogger ana said...

    Dun regret lah... It's a progress forward! Not as if u bought sth soon-to-be obsolete. So dun regret (yet) =p!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home