What about life?

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Resources

Wow. It's been more than 3 months since I last logged in. But nothing much to update. Not that I remembered.. getting old...
Been packing up my place recently. Taking out all those clothes that I bought and no longer can fit in, or I no longer feel like wearing, or torn/discoloured, the concept of impermanence really boil in. If I were to compute, I think I spent thousands of dollars on these clothes. Yes, I couldn't believe it myself. Those who know me would know that I rarely buy expensive clothes. Yet doing a rough estimate, those clothes were paid with hard cash of thousands of dollars! Can't believe I spend so much on clothes alone... And there are those pieces which I don't even wear more than 3 times. Who am I to criticise those people around me who have been spending. I am not faring any better. It's really a wonder how small pieces add up. A top may cost around $15 or so, a dress $40, but adding up, it's a huge amount. And now that I no longer like/fit them, those clothes are going to the garang guni man, and I may not even get more than $10 back for all these. A sheer wastage of money and resources isn't it. Resources expended to cut the cloth, sew into clothes, colouration, delivery to stores, retailing in stores, my going to the store, trying it, bringing it home. If I were to buy 50% lesser, it would mean 50% resources expended less.
In addition to the clothes, there's the shoes. The many pairs that I bought which caused much pain to the toes, were too high, did not fit properly, etc. Some I don't even wear for more than 20 times! And now going to the rubbish bin... another wastage of my money and resources!
When you start packing your room, and throwing things away, you suddenly wonder why you ever bought so many and you never end up using them. Yet you still continue buying. Like yesterday, I bought another Uniqlo top. In all, ever since the chain entered Sg, I spent around $120! And I don't even NEED those stuffs I bought. It was just WANT. A form of de-stress? Maybe. I did, for a few times, go shopping when I was feeling down, and bought things just because I wanted to spend. Ridiculous hor... But when I heard my staff's credit card spending for the month was $3k, I didn't feel so bad =p
Anyone short of anything that maybe I may have bought and rarely used? Let me know k.. at least it's better than giving to garang guni man...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home