What about life?

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Mean taxi driver

It's only just 2 months of the new year and I've already quarrelled twice with people. Not those minor squabbles or argument of reason. It's those type of quarrel whereby you feel your blood boiling. The first one was last month when I argued with another colleague of a similar designation over one of the staff under me. It was over the phone (thankfully), starting with politeness (much as I didn't really like him before that), ending with him slamming down the phone. I was utterly shocked. Never in my life did I have people slam down phones on me. I mean, there were those who put down the phone before I did, but that's usual because it's my habit to let people do that. But to have the phone slam down, never. And everyone who was in the office that heard the conversation were shocked to see me practically screaming into the phone. Me inclusive.
Then for today, my colleagues and I were on our way home. Though it was close to midnight, we had a long wait for the cab at the queue. Finally one came with the sign 'change shift'. The female driver was going to Sengkang whereby one of us was headed. We checked with her if she could send all 3 of us, giving the locations. She agreed. We got on. Then she drove slowly while imagining the roads to take. When I went into details on my place, she said it was not along the road and I should get off. Note: "I". So me and colleague tried to explain to her where it was, as she was thinking of another place. She said no. That the place was off the route and sounded irritated. I explained to her again that it was not, and offered her an extra $1. She said no, that there was no way to turn back to SK. I told her there was a u-turn. She insisted there wasn't. That got me fed up. I said I lived there for years and I know very well there is a u-turn which is not more than 100m away. My friend told her we did this many times and we could always get home and my friend lived in Sengkang so there was no way she couldn't get home. She still insisted that there wasn't. All this while, btw, the cab was still moving though at a pace such taht the meter had jumped to $3 (excl. flag down rate). It was late and after such a long wait, I wanted my team to get home. So I said never mind, and thought of taking a cab from Sengkang after everyone gets off. Then seconds later, my friend nudged me and say we should get off. If not, how was I to get home. I thought for a second and decided if she wasn't going to send me home, we should get off. So I told her to let us get off. She then said we must pay her the current fare. We were like 'duh'... and rolled our eyes. We said no because we had checked with her before we got on whether she could send us to our various locations and she was the one who said fine. She said no. We must pay for the fare which had turned into $6.60 for that short distance of less than 1km. My friend got off, and she said she was going to call the police. We ignored her and just got off. My friend saw her taking out her handphone to call. Well, we couldn't be bothered and started looking for another cab. My friend said later, she was even prepared to fight with the driver if she got off to fight. Ha. Of course she didn't. Then I was like saying 'the police are too busy with the JI detainee escape to bother about her $6'. Mean hor. Never had I argued with taxi drivers no matter how much they try to con me of my money or time. Never did I argue for so long and not give in to the other party. Was so angry! We were a bit upset that we didn't take down the plate number. Call us typical complaint queens or terrible office ladies. But we never met such a driver within the more than hundred times we took cabs home. Irritating!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home