What about life?

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

SMS

In case some of you may be wondering or felt offended or whatever, here’s pre-apologies if I take longer than usual to reply your messages. Trying to get out of the reply-asap attitude to reply-upon-frequent-checks attitude, in attempt to reduce my dependency on the technology gadget that many cannot do without. If you do a bit of observation work everytime you go out, you realize that everyone (almost, including the old grannies who may well hold a better model than yours) is holding on or using their phone. Either they’re chatting on it (with all those incoming calls free), sending a message, reading a message, or checking for any message. It has become so much a part of our life that many can no longer do without it. Whenever you go out, you think of bringing your wallet AND handphone. And many of us constantly check our phones for unread messages, as though we are that popular. Speaking about this, the phone was supposed to aid us in pulling distances closer, but I think it has gone the contrary. We have resorted to SMS in contacting people and disseminating information. When you organize a gathering, it was through SMS asking people when will be a good time. And the people reply you via SMS. When the outing’s confirmed, it is again through SMS. When someone is going to be late, or is not coming, it is via SMS. We are using this so often that I guess many of us forget that’s such a thing as phonecall (which, btw, should be the MAIN purpose of the handphone). I know of friends who ‘communicate’ (if SMS is indeed a form of communication) with other people solely through SMS. I’m fine with the service but some matters are better done with a simple phonecall. It saves the trouble of keying in those messages which are unclear at time, and definitely does not cause the handphone-related syndrome (what’s the name of it? About your fingers being used too much and hurt). Anyway, my point is I want to reduce my dependency on the phone and so for urgent matters, do give me a call instead. (sounds rather awkward end to the entry but I’m feeling sleepy).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home