Elections... what else?
I have to blog on this topic cuz the whole world is blogging it, it's one topic that hits the hearts of many, and I was a voter!
There were so many things that I lamented on for the past few days but can't really get them stringed up now, so pardon the break in thoughts for the next few paragraphs.
It's interesting how the election boundaries were drawn. Serangoon Gdns, which used to be part of Marine Parade GRC (and by distance wise, far from it), suddenly became what it rightfully should long have been in - Aljunied GRC. Rumours has it that the younger people have been living there, and they're the rich ones, with all those landed property. And as it's known, richer ones usually vote for The party in power. If you drive down Serangoon Road, when you get to Hougang Ave 3, all are Aljunied GRC. Past Ave 3, it becomes the hot seat of Hougang. And past Ave 7, 2 streets away, it becomes Aljunied again! Why will some streets clearly named Hougang become non-Hougang? On a more personal note, I've been receiving Pasir-Ris community magazines for the past 2 years. Had been thinking I'm in Teo Chee HXXX's GRC when the polling slip came - I'm cut into the Aljunied GRC! You mean my road can suddenly change? Anyway, whoever's in the committee that drew up the boundaries? Must be people employed by The party right?
Confidentiality. Is this the correct word to be used as described in all those slogans during campaigning? I know the polling slip has my name and IC and address on it. The guy at the registration knew my name and IC and address and polling slip no. The lady who handed me the polling card knew my name and IC and address and polling card no. (which was the same as polling slip no. ). This lady behind me doing the registration too, had my name and polling card no. read to her, so I presume she has my particulars as well. You call that confidential??? But of course, like I was rationalizing with my friends, it's quite unlikely that The party will be coming after you cuz you had voted for the "trouble-making" Oppositxxx. They're not that free ok. You think you are some big shot that will affect their power? Nay. You're just a small fry that it'll waste resources on their part to get the police or ISD coming after you. Besides, there's around 33.4% of the population (around 1 million people, based on a voting population of 3 million people)! BUT, (yes, there's always the BUT), they will base the results for drawing up the boundaries for GE2011. My speculation. How then do you think they can get the mandate they always want? It's all playing with the areas. Those who voted for the 'troublemakers' will be put into GRCs that have traditionally not been, and unlikely to be, contested (such as Marine Parade, Tanjong Pagar). Now you get it?
Counting of votes. Do you know how exactly they do it? Do you know whether any boxes went missing (intentionally or not)? Anyway, who are the people who accounted for the boxes? People of the white party again right? Based on what I studied in school, I'm taught that such events must always have INDEPENDENT party. Where are they in our GE?
The voting itself. There was no instructions on how to vote displayed at the polling stations. There was no instructions given by the people at the registration booth. But being the (supposed to be) well-informed and educated voter, I knew I had to cross out the box of the party that I wanted, and the cross is to touch all four corners of the box. But guess what, it took me at least 5 to 10 seconds of hesitation before I figured out which was the box I wanted. Because there was no instructions on the voting card. There were only the logos and names of the candidates. So if you were someone who didn't watch tv, or read the news (like many of the elderly voters in my GRC), you probably won't know who to vote and how to do it. Many came out of the station realising their vote was spoilt because they didn't cross the boxes properly, or put ticks, or thought cross means the party you DIDN'T want. Again, it's playing on people's ignorance. Leading on, who are the people who decide whether a vote was spoilt or not? People of the white party again right? So what if it was a spoilt vote you think. It's not going to affect the results which are based on percetages. That's the thing that many think. But the truth is, many of these people who spoilt their votes actually voted for the oppositxxx, or that they WANTED to vote for the oppositxxx but out of fear, they purposely spoil their votes. They're rather leave it to THE OTHER PPL to decide. No way were they going to get themselves into supposed-trouble by voting for oppositxxx and they hated the whites too much to give them the vote. So much of being neutral, but in actual fact, they're indirectly voting for the whites. Because their spoilt vote means one less vote to the oppositxxx, which by sentiments, should belong to the oppositxxx. With lesser votes, of course the ruling party stays.
Discussions about the results later. And anything admin I can rem.

1 Comments:
At 8:53 PM ,
ana said...
Eh, must touch all four corners of the box ah? Die. Then I vote considered spoilt liao, haha...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home